Why I can't throw away scraps
vintage green tote

>> Tuesday, February 07, 2006

I made this yesterday using a piece of fabric I bought on Ebay. The fabric is vintage so it had a couple of rough spots, but generally it was in very good shape. Of course I didn't use a pattern, but it's basically the same design as the knitting bag in Debbie Stoller's Stitch n' Bitch book. You square up the bag by sewing the corners. The main difference is that I added a lining to mine, but it's just the same thing repeated and turned inside out if you know what I mean.

I had just enough fabric to make this bag, or rather, I made the bag as large as I could and have enough for the bag, straps and a pocket. After that I was left with a small piece, which I decided to turn into a coin purse. I found these great pearl snaps, so I added those to the front pocket and purse. The fabric even aligned on the purse, but I have to admit it was just a fluke.

And finally I had some very small scraps left, so I decided to use the two biggest pieces to make a little strap for the purse. You know how you can't always find your money while shopping and it's embarrassing standing at the cashier digging around in your bag? So the little strap will end all that. So this is what I was left with:
And I can't even throw away these scraps. It's not like I can find this fabric again! What if I need to make some little ties for the bag...wait a minute that's a good idea...

16 comments:

.. February 07, 2006  

Key Chain for the little scraps :) or some sort of mobile phone acessory so one can find the phone ( or something else) IN the bag, which is always hard for me :) It´s all lovely.

Strikkelise February 07, 2006  

Very cool bag. And very beautiful fabric! I could steal the snaps :)

Anonymous,  February 07, 2006  

Gorgeous bag and what a great little purse! Talking of scraps - there's a bundle on it's way to you - finally!!!

Anonymous,  February 07, 2006  

Beautiful fabric, that green color is a favorite of mine. The bags look great, I don't think I'd throw away the scraps either. I used to be so unwilling to cut fabric I love, but now I realize I love seeing the fabric made into something.

Anonymous,  February 07, 2006  

lovely!
so much goodness here to peruse-
:)

Anonymous,  February 07, 2006  

What a good use of (almost) all the fabric! Lovely bag and wallet. :)

Anonymous,  February 07, 2006  

Nothing like a matching set. I love it!

Anonymous,  February 07, 2006  

Wonderful fabric, and a great bag! Maybe some tiny lizards out of the scraps? :>

Anonymous,  February 08, 2006  

Great fabric and you did such a good job of using it, the bag is so functional and I love that :) Maybe some quilt cards with the scraps - then you could frame them and have them forever!

Heather Simpson-Bluhm February 10, 2006  

OMG I LOVE this. That is my favorite color and I love the design ( yes I knit) I would keep the scraps too!

Karen February 10, 2006  

beautiful fabric and cute bag. I wouldn't be able to throw it away either. I sometimes cover buttons with my smallest scraps.

Claire Louise Milne February 10, 2006  

that's a great idea! But now I won't be able to throw away even the most miniscule pieces...oh well at least they don't take up much room. I made ties for the top of the bag and now I have just enough to...cover a button!

Anonymous,  February 13, 2006  

Hello Claire...did you have a chanve to sneak in my studio yesterday? I have many little pieces that i keep for the next patchwork ...If you do not want to stack them sew it with naother one today and then you will have something in progress! A reminder of everythihg that you will have done in the last year!!! Was fun meeting you!

Claire Louise Milne February 13, 2006  

merci Dominique - c'est un bon idée! c'était un plaisir de faire votre connaissance aussi! je vais ecrire un email bientot. je veux aller au "The Toronto Vintage Clothing and Textile 15th Annual Show & Sale", c'est samedi le 4 Mars, 10:00h - 5h.

Anonymous,  February 21, 2006  

I'm a scrap save too...you never know! Nice blog.:)

Lucia April 26, 2006  

OH, that's lovely bags, and the fabric looks beautiful.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP