E is for example

>> Thursday, January 19, 2006

This week I was asked by a book publisher to provide further samples as part of an application to illustrate one of their picture books. They've narrowed down the candidates, but are still working on making their final decision. Usually I would just send some of my existing samples, especially as it's always possible I won't getting chosen in the end. But this time I decided to combine my application with Illustration Friday and provide them with a sample illustration specific to the manuscript they emailed. I figure I can always use new samples to update my online portfolios (www.childrensillustrators.com/clairelmilne and www.portfolio.com/claire).

Rather than worrying about what they would be looking for style-wise I decided to approach it the same way I would Illustration Friday and just do it the way I would like to! So here it is, E is for Example, or even more specifically, E is for Escape since the puppy has escaped and shown up at a neighbour's door.

10 comments:

HARDWAX January 19, 2006  

well i'm not abook publisher,but I like it-i'm leaning towards example

Anonymous,  January 19, 2006  

I love getting to see more of your illustrations on your link! Today's Illustration Friday is great. I, too, am know book publisher, but I like what I see very much. Good luck! (Fingers crossed)

molly | mommycoddle.com January 19, 2006  

Your illustrations are beautiful. Good luck with your application...
I loved checking out your links--my favs are the wishing fish illustration and the boy with his elephant. So wonderful.

.. January 19, 2006  

Oh, I like it very much, and what I specially love is the expression on the puppy, he is all ready to accept any stray biscuits and have a little bit of attention isn´t he? I like the colors and the balance of the picture very much but puppy is stealing the show...

valerie walsh January 19, 2006  

well if they don't choose you they are missing out on a great talent! Loooooooove your work!!!!

Anonymous,  January 20, 2006  

Nice. I like the strong colors, and the dog is so cute.
wynlen - www.wynlen.no

Baskerville Hound January 20, 2006  

Love the puppy dog! you have a fantastic style and your illustrations are all so beautiful-How can they not pick you! all the best with it [you will let us know yeah?] :)

Claire Louise Milne January 20, 2006  

Thanks everyone for such nice feedback. You never know who they'll pick for these things - I'll let you know!

patricia zapata January 20, 2006  

Cute illustration. I always like your color choices. If you don't mind me asking, what techniques do you use?

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP