Amigurumi?

>> Sunday, January 22, 2006

It's the last day of my deadline, and I'm really tired! In the meantime here are some vintage amigurumi-type animals. I googled it, but I can't seem to find out what these used to be called, other than crocheted animals, but they seem to be the same thing as the Japanese amigurumi animals that are so popular these days. I bought these at an antique store, and the owner told me that they used to be given away as prizes at the Canadian National Exhibition. The little dog has wire in his legs.

I was so amazed at all the little details, and I love the little brown animal partly because I can't even figure out what he is, he's just plain cute is all.


p.s. thanks for all the nice comments about my pink rabbit! The needle book in the picture was actually in my very first post ever, and the namesake for my blog.

5 comments:

Anonymous,  January 22, 2006  

It looks like amigurumi to me! That little dog is too cute, but now I'm going to be thinking about what the other guy is.

Anonymous,  January 22, 2006  

that little dog is really cute!

alison

http://malisonian.etsy.com

Anonymous,  January 23, 2006  

Hello! I found your blog while surfing craft blogs. I have that exact same little dog! Back in the early 70's, when I was a kid, my family lived in Hong Kong and my mom bought a bunch of those little crocheted animals for our christmas tree. All I have left are the dog and a little green elephant. We were always under the impression they were made in Hong Kong (everything was made in Hong Kong back then) or China. We also got adorable tiny crocheted children made to look like they were wearing jackets with hoods. All of them are long gone. I've searched around on the internet, but never found any.

City Wiccan February 01, 2006  

Oh! Oh! I have some of these. There were my favourite toys as kids. I have a dog (brown) and a rabbit. I think I still have them. Hmmmm . . .maybe a topic for a blog. I had totally forgotten about them. They seem so small . . . how did anyone make them?

Anonymous,  September 23, 2007  

I love the vintage crochet dolls. I'm researching a book about Amigurumi, and I'd love to know more about these and maybe use one of your images.
get in touch.
Katylou

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP