Boy Knitting - part one

>> Thursday, December 01, 2005




I'm going to my first stitch n' bitch tonight! I'm really looking forward to it. Now I can socialize while still catching up on all my (secret) Christmas projects. I can't wait to see what everyone is making. Plus I always enjoy getting together with a bunch of girls and gossiping. Which brings me to my topic.

My boyfriend asked me over a year ago if I would teach him how to knit. I wasn't sure if he was really interested at first, but I have to say he's taken to it like a fish to water. His first ball of yarn was a nice fat dark green wool. He made (and unravelled) a few practise squares and ended up creating my favourite scarf for me, in a double rib. After that came a bookmark in moss stitch, some 2-colour wash cloths, and a really long Seattle Seahawks scarf in lime green, blue and grey. All made without a pattern (he likes doing the math).

That's all pretty impressive, but his latest project was so complicated I couldn't really understand it until I saw it put together (see diagram). It's a double thickness mitten knitted in one big flat piece. So when you sew it together it has two layers for warmth. The 1st mitten took a long time, and I suspect he'll need a breather before the 2nd gets done. But as you can see he's a natural knitter (and designer). It's not really that surprising, just look at famous knitters such as Kaffe Fassett.

2 comments:

Anonymous,  December 01, 2005  

You can't really tell from the photo, but the thumb design indicates that this is the left-hand mitten.

Wearing it feels like an oven mitt.

Anonymous,  December 14, 2005  

Status report: I hit the halfway mark on the right-hand mitten last night (Dec 13th). Fingers crossed for completing everything (about 5000 more stiches, sewing up, and weaving in) by the 18th.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP