Crochet flower scarf - how to

>> Saturday, December 03, 2005


I've figured out a pattern for the crochet flower scarf that I posted about recently. This is just a series of flowers in alternating colours, and each flower is stitched to the next one by sewing together two of the petals.

I am not an expert pattern writer, but if you know the basics of crochet I think you will be able to follow it. I used some odds and ends of yarn I had, and using a size H crochet hook the flower ended up being 3.75" in diameter.

Crochet Flower Scarf Pattern
what you need to know:
making a chain (ch), slip stitch (sl st), single crochet stitch (sc), double crochet stitch (dc), treble crochet stitch (tr)
General:
use the size crochet hook recommended on the yarn label. Flowers can vary in sizes depending on how heavy the yarn is.

  1. chain 3
  2. join into a ring with slip stitch into first stitch
  3. 8 single chains into centre of ring, sl st to join up, switch to the next colour (cut off the first colour so you can weave in the end and both sides of the flower will look good, ie. don't leave it attached for when you use the same colour again)
  4. ch2, 1 dc in next st, then 2 dc in all subsequent stitches (total of 16 dcs), sl st to join up the ring, switch colours again back to the original colour (or a 3rd colour if you wish)
  5. *sc in 1st stitch, ch2, sc in next stitch* repeat to create 8 loops (these are very small loops, basically just a gap)
  6. Work into loops to create petals, each petal is 1sc, 2dc, 1tr, 2dc, 1sc, repeat for each petal until there are 8
  7. The flower is done! Repeat to create 16 flowers and join together by stitching 2 petals of each flower to the next one, alternating colours as you wish.
I would love to see them if anyone makes this scarf. I am planning to make one myself (probably in pink, purple and reds) and I will post it.

11 comments:

Green Kitchen January 10, 2006  

Hi Claire, I'm working on this scarf right now. Thanks for the pattern. I'll post a photo when I'm done. I'm mostly following the colorway that you have here. And, I'm already thinking about doing another in another scheme. Thanks for being the first to post on my blog.

Anonymous,  January 15, 2006  

Thank you soooo much for the pattern to this awesome scarf! I saw it in the mall and stopped in my tracks. It started with one...

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c61/autopritts/Set12_02.jpg

And became the final product.!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c61/autopritts/Set11_02.jpg

(I tried to post the pictures right here but the comment box can't accept the HTML)

THANKS AGAIN!!

Anonymous,  January 27, 2008  

Love this Claire! I'm gonna give it a try - thanks *so* much for creating and posting the pattern!

Anonymous,  January 28, 2008  

i am going to try to knit one in greens and blues and yellows for my 7 year-old cousin... i hope i can send you pictures of the finished product. thanks for the pattern :)

Anonymous,  July 09, 2008  

Good Job! :)

Creative Craft Ideas November 14, 2009  

I didn't make a scarf, but I did use your adorable flower pattern to adorn my daughters hat! Just thought I would share!

you can check it out here:

http://floralshowers.com/crochet/red-crocheted-hat/

Thanks for the cute ideas!
Anne

Anonymous,  January 04, 2010  

just discovered your pattern via ravelry my attempt is on my blog really enjoyed it thanks:)

Ms Muffin March 18, 2010  

Thanks so much for your tutorial!!! I made that scarf and I had so much fun doing it! You can see a picture of the scarf here
http://muffinsnmore.blogspot.com/2010/03/crochet-flower-scarf.html
Just hope my daughter will like it as much as I do. (She will get it for Easter.)

Thanks for sharing it!

Astri May 09, 2011  

Just made this scarf. Thank you so much for the pattern. I linked to your post on my post: http://appleblossomdreams.blogspot.com/2011/05/what-is-it-that-you-like-then-my.html

Garden Chef April 29, 2012  

Hi Claire, I copied your pattern a few weeks ago but I'm writing my comments only now. I like the color combinations in the picture you uploaded and that made me excited thinking of a project. I won't tell you now but I'll just tell you and show you once I've made it. Thanks for the idea.

gloria cioffi,  November 15, 2015  

Hi not making the scarf yet but used the flowers for hats love them ty ..

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP