White winter berry mittens

>> Friday, December 30, 2005

I just finished these today, they're white wool mittens using a four-needle mitten pattern from Lettuce Knit. They give you the pattern if you buy the wool there. It's a nice smooth, very soft, luxuriously heavy wool called "Blue Sky Bulky" and it's 50% alpaca and 50% wool. I was a little disappointed when I finished knitting them, since they came out a bit too large, and the sample in the store had fit perfectly. So I decided to felt them (by hand) and they shrunk just enough. I also tried them on outside before felting and I could feel the wind through the mitten. Not anymore! These are so dense and warm now. Also, the embroidery works better on the felted mitten because there's a smooth surface without so much texture from the stitches. I decided to embroider a winter branch with berries on them. I'm thinking of making some more now to sell.

7 comments:

Anonymous,  January 02, 2006  

These are so beautiful! You have great style...I love the photo, too!

Claire Louise Milne January 02, 2006  

thank you abby, I really like your blog, I've bookmarked it so I can visit again

Anonymous,  January 03, 2006  

What gorgeous mittens! I bet I'd want it to always be winter if I had mittens like that.

Kim Carney January 04, 2006  

those are so lovely!

Anonymous,  January 09, 2006  

these are so so lovely. is there a name for embroidery with yarn on knitted items? i'd like to learn more about how to do it. can you suggest any resources?

Claire Louise Milne January 10, 2006  

Generally embroidery on wool is done with wool instead of the usual cotton/silk embroidery thread and it's called crewel embroidery. The techniques are pretty much the same as with regular embroidery, I generally use only a few stitches, satin stitch, french knots and chain stitch. I will recommend some books on today's post!

Anna January 10, 2006  

Oh how lovely! :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP