I re-love the IKEA dining set

>> Friday, March 20, 2009

Sometimes I post something and then I think it needs a little follow-up. In this case it's the IKEA Fusion dining set. I loved it when we bought it and it did fit perfectly into our kitchen eat-in area. But I was never really happy with the cushions.

The set comes with the seats covered in a black matte vinyl? fabric. I really didn't like it. So I used an aqua and white striped fabric I had on hand to recover them. But I made some mistakes. First of all I didn't pre-wash the fabric and I had bought it 2nd hand so it turns out that there were dusty marks on it. I didn't notice until later.

Also I didn't remove the black fabric that was already there since it was attached with about 1000 staples. This isn't a good idea because it doesn't feel right and there was a subtle dark shadow from having the black underneath the white and blue striped fabric.

So this time I was determined to do it right. (if something is worth doing, etc...) For some reason I was picturing a green and white print and finally found the perfect one at a fabric store on Queen West. The best part is that it was a fabric that was usually $19/yard but I found an end piece that was around 1.5 yards for only $10! The green colour was exactly what I was looking for, and it was a nice upholstery weight with a lovely smooth feel to it.

Bradley helped remove the 1000 staples and I attached the new fabric and now I re-love the IKEA dining set. Yay!

11 comments:

Kerri March 20, 2009  

This is fabulous! Good work, and great bargain hunting!
I LOVE the dining room set!

A Thrifty Mrs March 21, 2009  

OOOh it looks terrific!

Sarah J. March 21, 2009  

I love this fabric! It's actually really similar to the Michael Miller fabric I'm using for my current project, only reversed, with a green background and white damask pattern.

Average Jane Crafter March 21, 2009  

This is fantastic! I love this set, and even moreso with this fabulous green fabric.

And your comment about "doing it right" makes me think of my good friend who says, "Why is there never time to do it right, but always time to do it over?" I often hear her voice in my head when I'm crafting. ;)

Beautiful work!

Janelle March 23, 2009  

I really love green and white with black--it looks so fresh. Awesome job on these!

Kerry March 23, 2009  

I love the fabric with that dark wood. Great job - your hard work totally paid off!

Anonymous,  March 27, 2009  

Amazing design of dining set!! I really love it's green fabric!!

Anonymous,  March 27, 2009  

I didn't notice this right away, but removing the vinyl-ish covers has made this incarnation of the chairs way more comfortable for sitting.

Theresia (minoridesign) April 16, 2009  

I love this, what a great choice of fabric!! We nearly bought this dining set!

Anonymous,  November 09, 2015  

i have this set. what to do when the table starts peeling? it's ikea so not real wood, of course. hate to throw away the set. any ideas for rehabbing the table top??

Claire Louise Milne November 27, 2015  

Sorry no suggestions there! Ours is holding up ok, just a little wear and if there's a pale bit of wood where the finish has rubbed down there are brown markers you can get at hardware stores to touch that up but I haven't tried it myself.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP