IF- communication
Charlotte's Web

>> Wednesday, February 28, 2007

As always I've picked a children's story to illustrate the Illustration Friday theme. This week was "communication" and I chose Charlotte's Web.

Mrs. Arable fidgeted. "Fern says the animals talk to each other. Dr. Dorian, do you believe animals talk?"
"I never heard one say anything," he replied. "But that proves nothing. It is quite possible that an animal has spoken civilly to me and that I didn't catch the remark because I wasn't paying attention. Children pay better attention than grownups."
I've always loved this story and read it over and over when I was little. I read it again before illustrating it to make sure to get the details right. One of the hardest parts of illustrating this story was getting over the fact that it was already beautifully illustrated by Garth Williams. My early art education included poring over my collection of children's books and copying my favourite illustrations. I was particularly captivated by the cover of Charlotte's Web. Finding this charming link really took me back to that time.

I decided to just go for it and do an illustration in my own style. Here's a detail:Thanks for visiting!

16 comments:

valerie walsh February 28, 2007  

Claire you absolutely did a beautiful job on this! Just perfect!!!

Teri February 28, 2007  

Just perfect. You really captured my memory of it.

Julie Olson February 28, 2007  

That's a great idea to do...pick a story. Illustrated very well here. I like the foreground to middle to background.

Cynthia Thornton February 28, 2007  

Very sensitive line work! Good job!

Funky Finds March 01, 2007  

i love your illustration! this is one of my favorite stories.

Susan Mitchell March 01, 2007  

This is beautifully done Claire! So delicate and sensitively painted :)

Ellen March 01, 2007  

This is fabulous!

Linsay Blondeau March 01, 2007  

so lovely!
I am adding you to my favorites to watch
:)

Anonymous,  March 01, 2007  

I'm perpetually caught unawares by really talented blogger's own creations. Nice of you to share. My 7 yo is reading that book right now. Wonderful illustration. Love how Wilbur's face has some hope on it, not just the trepidation in the G.W. cover.

Hurrayic March 02, 2007  

I just finished reading this aloud to my 2 younger ones. The older of the two was touched by the loss of Charlotte as was I. So sad and yet new life, new friendships with the few children that remained. Thank you for your illustration. I like how Fern is studying Charlotte, perhaps listening intently to what good advice she has.

Anonymous,  March 03, 2007  

i love these illustrations- they're just perfect. I read the book many times as a child and would study the cover a lot. I think you've captured the 'feel' of the characters really well.

Jenny L. March 04, 2007  

My 6 year old and I are reading this right now. your picture is wonderful.

Anonymous,  March 04, 2007  

Dear Claire,
these illustrations are so charming--they totally hold up to Garth Williams in my opinion and that is no small feat! I wish we were neighbors, we have so much in common. Please check my children's book illustration website maggiebooks.com and my etsy shop maggierama.etsy.com. I'm also an aries, and just a few years older than you!

Berlinswhimsy March 12, 2007  

I have been showing my kids your illustrations and my daughter, especially, absolutely loves them. She's even been trying her own. What beautiful work and thank you for sharing.

Orinda5 March 12, 2007  

Beautiful illustration! I love the animal characters in the foreground and the main characters in the background. I feel like I'm just on the other side of the fence with the ducks looking in on what's happening.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP