Bird satchel

>> Thursday, November 30, 2006

One of the first things I made when we returned from our trip was this bag. I don't know why I make so many but whenever I get inspired with a new idea I can't help it. I have tons of my handmade bags that I've only used a few times, sometimes only once!

While I've accepted the fact that I can't resist buying new crafts supplies, especially vintage or anything that resembles a "grab bag", I still try to "use what you have" as often as possible. This bag was made from leftover scraps of brown cordoruy on the sides, and a scrap of upholstery fabric for the front and back. It's quite thick, and therefore good for a bag, and is a kind of peachy colour with a cream coloured scallop pattern. The inside is lined a white cotton with pink "v" pattern. I added a compartmented (is that a word?) pocket inside and one big lined pocket on the front.The strap is light olive green cotton, and is adjustable so that the bag can go work as a shoulder bag or have the strap go across the chest.

The front flap of course is the best part, made from a piece of the lovely pink wool sent to me by Cathy as part of a swap package (Thank you Cathy!). I appliqued a branch with flowers and a bird from wool felt. I don't know why always the bird motif but it's still my favourite. I'm just not tired of putting birds on everything.One of my favourite parts are the middles of the flowers which are affixed in the middle with a star of thread, but have the ends free to stand out.
In the meantime I am already inspired with an idea to make another one with a similar shape but quite different materials. That's right, another bag. And I can't say for sure but this one will probably have a bird on it too.

16 comments:

Susan Mitchell November 30, 2006  

This is really gorgeous Claire! Love it :)

Belinda November 30, 2006  

So special, just gorgeous!!

Funky Finds November 30, 2006  

stunning! you'd better carry this prize more than once!

Anonymous,  November 30, 2006  

When you're tired of it you can always sell it to me!! It's absolutely the most beautiful bag!!

Anonymous,  November 30, 2006  

It's just breathtaking...I could use it every day!!

Anonymous,  November 30, 2006  

If you make more, I'll buy one!

Anonymous,  November 30, 2006  

I'm in LOVE with that bag! Wonderful work!!

Flibbertygibbet December 03, 2006  

That bag is divine, just so lovely.

Anonymous,  December 03, 2006  

I love this bag! It's fabulous! So after you use it once or twice and put it on the shelf (can't imagine how you could not just use this bag till it wears out!) let me know and I will buy it off of you! Of course, it could always end up being that favorite that you can't let go of, and I would totally understand!

Victoria December 04, 2006  

It's wonderful, i really love the felt bird.
I understand you only want to make more and more, hi hi

Happy Christmas

Junie Moon December 05, 2006  

Oh, I adore your bird bag and want it, want it, want it to be all mine. Gosh, how selfish am I?

Anonymous,  December 07, 2006  

This is a gorgeous bag, it is so "me" (even though it is "you"). Too bad you were not selling this, I'd buy it in a heart beat!

Toni December 12, 2006  

This is one of the cutest bags ever!! Great work!

Anonymous,  December 19, 2006  

I love the applique work on that, it's beautiful.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP