Gail Wilson doll

>> Monday, June 06, 2011

Well it was just a matter of time before I tried a pattern by Gail Wilson whose designs I've been admiring for some time. Bradley bought me my first kit as a birthday present. It's the 3D 12" historical doll.
As I expected I learned a lot from this kit, there were lots of good techniques that are covered in detail. These kits involve a fair amount of work but the results are something really special.
I made a few little changes, the sleeves of the dress are shorter and left flared rather than gathered in. And I mixed up my own skin tone as the one included with the kit wasn't what I wanted. And I painted the details of the face differently.
Also, I decided to do painted shoes and stockings rather than the removable boots and stockings.
The kit includes patterns for the dress, petticoat and pantalettes and a nightgown. I haven't made the nightgown but I added an apron and a cape. If anyone is interested, leave a comment and I will explain how to make a nice simple little apron with a handkerchief! Also, I did the hairstyle differently and I could show that too. The lined cape was an enlarged pattern from a book about dressing old-fashioned dollhouse dolls.
 And now, of course, I am onto a new project...

11 comments:

Jess June 06, 2011  

This is just wonderful. She's beautiful.

Caitlin Rose June 06, 2011  

I received little edith the other day, and she's even more beautiful than I imagined! I brought her into sewing class and Lynn was really impressed, and she just loved it. Well everyone loved it. I told her that you had made it and she said you should do a doll fashion show.

Thank you so much. At the risk of sounding like a little girl I'm just going to say that I love her.

Mary Ann Tate June 07, 2011  

She turned out very well. I've only recently discovered Gail Wilson dolls from another blog I read.

Anonymous,  June 07, 2011  

she is beautiful, you must be delighted!

Carla June 07, 2011  

She is beautiful. I have 2 of Gail's kits and am afraid to start on them. I would love to know how you did the cape, apron and hair.

Beth June 07, 2011  

Claire, your GW doll is breathtaking! Lovely face, outfit, hair, everthing :-) I've made many GW dolls, and always learn something new.

Welcome to Gail's group,

Beth

Aimee Jeffries June 07, 2011  

I saw her pics posted on VCD yahoo group and had to come over and follow your blog. She is so precious!

louise June 07, 2011  

wow - she is amazing - beautiful work!

jennifer June 07, 2011  

your dolls are just wonderful!

Susan At Glen Oaks Primitives June 07, 2011  

Absolutely lovely. She looks like
an antique dolly. You did a
superb job.
Warm Regards,
Susan B., Western MA

Holly June 08, 2011  

I just love the dolls! They suit your style, and really highlight your technique. Fantastic!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP