TV corner beautified

>> Thursday, July 31, 2008

This is a fun project I finally finished. I've been meaning to do this for ages, because I'm always inspired by pretty painted boxes I see on Flickr. As you may have guessed it started out life as an IKEA box, that has five smaller boxes for drawers.All I did was prime the box, paint it white and then add decorative paper covers for the drawers. I used some vintage wallpaper I bought from this shop on etsy (it was a gorgeous collage pack - so much fun to get and sort through the bits of fabric, ribbon and paper) and glued the paper on using PVA glue from an art shop.Also in the picture is a little quilted coaster I made from bits of fabric from the workroom fabric swap. I really do use the little bits of fabric I find here and there!

I'm not sure where I'll put the box, as I had originally planned to mount it to the wall beside the bed. That way I can have a book and my water bottle next to me since we only have room for one bedside table (and it's not on my side). But then I took the picture here on our white cabinet that has the t.v. and I really like the way it looks there. I just wish the boxes were big enough for the remotes, that would be really useful.
But practical or not it brightens up the spot so I think it's staying.

p.s. the water bottle is from The Japanese Paper Place, I bought it because it the design was so pretty but it turns out it's so great, because it's the thermos version and it really keeps my water cold, and tea hot!

13 comments:

Concha August 01, 2008  

I love what you did with this! It's such a great way to display pretty papers and it looks lovely!

Dawn Gahan August 01, 2008  

This is really beautiful. Really really beautiful. I adore vintage wallpaper and this is a great way to use it.

Dawn

P.S. And thanks, Claire, for visiting my blog to see my Peek Frean tins!

Rebecca August 01, 2008  

such a darling owl coaster!

Johanna Masko August 02, 2008  

Really lovely, Claire! And sweet little coaster; I should make new coasters- mine are looking tired.

Grace August 04, 2008  

Love it! What a fabulous idea!

Nanette Merrill August 05, 2008  

Another darling darling idea. You have so many of them. I'm truly impressed.

Sweetpea4kids August 06, 2008  

I love your painted boxes, they're so pretty.

distelfliege August 15, 2008  

Good idea to decorate those boxes!
I started to get Ikea cardboard boxes lately to keep my stuff organised, but 2 weeks ago they changed the design and I don't like the boxes they are offering now. I guess I'll have to make some myself, too.

I like your photography here on the blog.

karyn August 17, 2008  

i recognized that scrap fabric on your coasters right away! it's good to know that the swap fabrics (even scrappy bits) go on to have happy, crafty lives.

Lisa PN August 19, 2008  

claire,
I love what you did with the ikea boxes! I have a few of them in my studio, but they don't really look as beautiful as yours..thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous,  August 20, 2008  

brilliant way to brighten up those Ikea boxes- I've got a set that could use a bit of customising too, thanks for the idea.

Elizabeth September 01, 2008  

This is so pretty!

Anonymous,  December 30, 2010  

I've had one of these for years and I'm finally trying to come up with ideas for it. This one is fantastic.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP