Thrifting - fabric finds

>> Tuesday, March 14, 2006

This is my favourite detail from a fabric I recently found while thrift shopping. It's a circus-themed print with animals, circus tents and performers. My picture didn't turn out well, the fabric is white with pale pink lines. Speaking of thrifting, I'm sure you've already been there, but make sure you don't miss Hillary's wonderful new blog: thrift craft. It's nice to hear other people getting so thrilled by thrift shopping too! Another fabric I found was this floral:
It's a sheet, but the fabric is really nice, very smooth and soft. I wasn't sure about it at first, but I was pulled in by the interesting colour scheme, grey, orange and tan. Plus I like most vintage floral patterns. I think it will look great with just the right contrasting colour with it.

This one is a linen tablecloth, the flower pattern is in a square border with a circle in the middle filled with the same pattern. I love the cheerful colours and I was picturing what a nice picnic cloth it would make. I think I was getting excited about spring.
And finally, I found a set of four orange knapkins, also in a nice thick cotton fabric. I made a crochet hook holder out of one of them, similar to the pencil holder in the new Martha Stewart Good Things for Kids magazine. (I like the new magazine, but I miss the beautiful illustrations in the original one). The crochet case turned out just right, with just enough slots to fill all my crochet hooks. All the slots are full, the hooks at the left end are too little to show over the top.
Is it just me, or do the crochet hooks look really cute in their slots? To me they look like they're tucked up in bed.Next thrift post will be dedicated to my marvelous vintage aprons!

9 comments:

Anonymous,  March 14, 2006  

that pink on white circus fabric is amazing. reminds me of some red on white embroidery i saw at a quilting show recently.

and what a huge fabric pattern repeat! it's hard to tell how big it is. wow, i would have a hard time cutting that up.

is it ok to just frame fabric?

Anonymous,  March 15, 2006  

I don't usually like circus prints, but that one is really nice. I like the colors in the floral, too.

Anonymous,  March 15, 2006  

You really lucked out thrift shopping, those are all amazing, I don't think I could pick a favorite. Your crochet holder is so cute, I know the MS Kids you mentioned, I was thinking about making that same holder for Emma, the travelling artist. I can't believe that magazine is going away. I'm sick about it.

Susan Mitchell March 15, 2006  

The circus fabric is the best! Love, love, love it!

Toni March 15, 2006  

Really love your new fabric finds! That tablecloth has some major *wow* factor going :) Oh yes, the crochet hooks look so snug and tucked in!

Anonymous,  March 15, 2006  

The circus print is INCREDIBLE. Have you thought of photocopying it and using some of the images in papercrafts?? I'm with Heather--that should be framed.

I LOVE thrift shopping too! And your site is beautiful.

Samantha March 16, 2006  

That circus fabric is wonderful. Definitely my favourite!

Anonymous,  March 20, 2006  

Love your thrifty finds--those fabrics are wonderful--the aprons too!
Snowbear
http://rock-paper-scissors.typepad.com/craftycorner

Unknown March 31, 2006  

Hello, I just found you via whip up. I'm enjoying your blog very much! I think your brightly colored tablecloth is a Peter Hunt. If you are not familiar with him, he was an artist who popularized folk art in the 1940's. I think there were wallpapers and textiles made from his style and your tablecloth is one of them (I think!). Anyway, nice blog!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP