The Compulsive Quilter

>> Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I accidentally pressed "publish post" before actually writing the post..

Anyway, I've now finished piecing together the quilt and basting it together. This is the quilt after being pieced:
Then this is the quilt after basting with red and orange thread (to show up clearly):
Happily, you can now see the lattice pattern really clearly, which is what I had hoped for. Also everyone at the Workroom Quilt Sunday was really nice about the imperfections that were bothering me and agreed that this was good for something handmade. Also, Karyn has some great quality (but affordable) batting so I recommend getting yours at the Workroom. It's 90" wide so I only needed to buy 2 yards for this Double sized quilt.
I think I basted too much, but I didn't want to worry about shifting while I do the hand quilting. This way it's very secure and I didn't need to add any pins. Also I'd like to get by without a frame. Because I don't really need any more craft supplies and don't really want to buy one. (did I just say that??)

This is how it looks in the back:
I used a sheet for the backing, but if you do this just check that it's not a very tight weave which can be hard to hand quilt. In case you're wondering, I haven't done hand quilting before but I love the way it looks so I'll be learning how. I'll let you know how that goes...

Next post I'm going to be showing off a 1930s quilt I just bought. It's beautiful!

15 comments:

Tania Ho February 27, 2008  

this is beautiful Claire !

Johanna Masko February 27, 2008  

Holy Moly! That's a whole lotta basting, Claire!! It looks great so far, and it's a beauty in person. I'd love to get my grabby hands on it to help you quilt it...
(I really need to get cranking on my own stuff,too!)

VSJensen February 28, 2008  

oh wow that is beautiful! i have been wanting to try hand quilting, what an inspiration!

Nanette Merrill February 28, 2008  

Its lovely! I hate basting by the way. Sometimes my daughter will do it for me. I know thats cheating. Its so so pretty though. I can't wait to see it done.

Anonymous,  February 28, 2008  

It looks so beautiful. Can't wait to see the hand quilting!

oliver rain February 28, 2008  

This will be absolutely beautiful when it's finished. I look forward to seeing it when it's finished.

Junie Moon February 29, 2008  

Your quilt is beautiful! I love the colors and fabric placements. You've done a marvelous job.

Anonymous,  March 01, 2008  

what a pleasure to see the quilt top in person. it's truly lovely. perhaps one day i'll finish the quilt top that i've been working on and hand quilt it too... in the meantime, i live vicariously through you!

Anonymous,  March 04, 2008  

THat quilt is amazing! I love the way you quilted it, too-it seems such a traditional design with modern touches. Great job!

Hurrayic March 04, 2008  

I really like the color choices. And the stitching on the back and partially on the front - at first I thought it was printed fabric and was going to ask where you got it.

pedalpower March 06, 2008  

Beautiful! I love that you've put so much basting in that you won't have to use a frame....I picture you with this draped over your lap stitching away.

Your new vintage quilt is charming too!

Georgia March 16, 2008  

I love this quilt and how you've explained how you made it. I think the colours you've chosen are just gorgeous, it is fresh and clean looking and you will never notice those mistakes when you you look at the whole thing.

Lara March 19, 2008  

Beautiful! I love the color. Irish chain (single, double, or triple) has got to by my all time favorite quilt pattern.

Although I will never hand quilt a big quilt again. I've resigned myself to baby quilts from now on. I can actually finish them!

sam lamb March 21, 2008  

Your quilt looks fantastic. The blues with white is so crisp and modern. Well done!

Anonymous,  March 22, 2008  

Your quilt is so beautiful! I love the colors and pattern - so fresh and clean looking - great job!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP