>> Friday, February 24, 2006
Well I didn't really expect woodworking to become part of my Olympics Knitting project, but it seems this is the case. I've now sanded, stained three times, and varnished the handles. I needed to lightly sand and varnish again today. It has a slight varnish smell which I don't care for but hopefully that will quickly fade. I'm also wondering how long it will take before the handles feel nice and smooth and not like they've been varnished the day before.
I haven't attached the flaps at the top yet, I just folded one flap quickly through one of the slots to show how it will work. The sides get sewn too so that they are tucked in. But I'm not sure I like it because then the bag doesn't open up as much. So I have to think about that and also how I will line it. I was planning to maybe use the fabric I keep photographing it on, but I was hoping to find something I like better in the meantime. I kept picturing more purple, such as a purple floral pattern on a purple background. In any case, I'm very happy with how it turned out, I didn't really worry too much about the gauge, but somehow it turned out exactly right, even including the size of the wooden handles and slot inside them (I guess those are a standard size).
Thanks to the retroknits person who posted the pattern but isn't there anymore for the beautiful pattern, and thanks to Yarn Harlot for the great Knitting Olympics idea!