Crafternoon Tea - pincushions!

>> Wednesday, December 03, 2014

Finally finished a nice batch of crocheted pincushions, with fabric tops and felt flower and leaf embellishments. This time around I dipped into my stash of barkcloth fabric to make the tops and I love how they look!
I've also added some colourful pins to each one, and finally tried out the Wee Wonderful shrinky dink pin tutorial. As you will see this tutorial dates back to 2005 but I've wanted to make them ever since then and this seemed like a good opportunity. Does anyone else have a lengthy craft idea "to do" list that will probably never get finished? It's a great way to get inspired if your craft projects are feeling a little lacklustre.
I couldn't find shrinky dink supplies in Toronto, so ended up with the equivalent, some shrink film from Deserres. It worked out really well, the pins look sort of thin and pathetic but once you shrink them the designs look sharper, the plastic is thicker and they end up very tiny and cute! I've had fun making a bunch of these, mostly just simple fruit and flowers, but a few animals and little anchors for the pincushions with nautical colours.
So each OOAK pincushion will come with cute pins, and makes a sweet present for the sewer on your holiday shopping list!

3 comments:

Jessica December 04, 2014  

Too cute! I've had that same tutorial on my list for as long. Maybe now I will try it too.

Claire Louise Milne December 04, 2014  

Thanks Jessica, have fun! With my stove 2.5 minutes seemed about right but you will see when they've stopped shrinking, and it's ok if the pins fall over - all of my did and they still turn out fine :)

AMCSviatko December 07, 2014  

Oh, you make me feel so much better (and very old in the blogging world at the same time). I remember this tutorial, and made versions of the pins for myself back in 2006. But I too have craft projects that have been on my list for over five years. It's quite a terrifying thought... :-}

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP