Picnicking

>> Monday, May 12, 2008

We had a busy weekend, hosting my family on Saturday for dinner, and hosting Bradley's family for Sunday dinner. And both evenings I was up until 1am working on artwork for the last of a series of five children's books I've been working on the past few weeks. It's not as bad as all that though because I've always been a night owl. I perk up around 6pm and get very energetic around 10pm and have to force myself to go to bed at a reasonable hour. Which I rarely do.

But I still managed to sneak out for a little thrift shopping Sunday afternoon although I felt oddly guilty. Lots of shops were closed and it was like "why aren't you at home have quality time with your mom? I hope you're not here picking up last minute flowers because you forgot it was mother's day" But it was worth it because I really liked what I found. This picnic basket (for $4.99) actually has a little table that fits inside it. Also good for separating things in the basket so less things get squished. I assume. The table cloth is a previously thrifted item but seems to belong with the basket.
When we go picnicking I like to take a pillow, and I've decided the charming pillowcase (below) will be perfect for that since it has a kind of woodland feel. I bought this from the friendly & talented Marnie at the Trunk sale (I also loved her "play capes" for children). The sale was lots of fun and as usual a source of lots of buying and swapping as well as selling.

note the bird ribbon. how can I resist anything with bird ribbon?

I also bought this cutlery roll from Marnie, which will also go in the basket.
My favourite part is the matching napkins.
And while I'm showing off the things I got at the trunk sale, I'm loving this spring scarf created by Dory who posts here. The colours came out a bit dark in the photo, the dark patches are actually navy blue corduroy.
It's warm but not too warm if you know what I mean. Also I like to see the fabrics that other people put together, it's like getting a little batch of someone else's stash.

9 comments:

Chris Kimball Voice May 13, 2008  

its a pie basket, designed for transporting 2 pies. they work great for keeping any food from getting squished.

Concha May 13, 2008  

what a lovely find! :) I hope you enjoy it!

Anonymous,  May 13, 2008  

the picnic bag is very very cheap !! where did u found it?

Anonymous,  May 13, 2008  

Does this mean we can finally have a two-pie picnic? Steak and Guinness meal followed by an apple crumble.
Hooray for Goodwill finds!

Nanette Merrill May 14, 2008  

Darling vintage things. What fun.

Hurrayic May 16, 2008  

I like the basket. Funny, I just had one of these (from a thrift store) in my hand yesterday, wavering...did I really need it? But it looks so nice. I opted to place it back on the shelf. Oh well. Glad you will be using yours.

Anonymous,  May 16, 2008  

Oh, yes, it's a pie carrier! Down south we traditionally use them to carry goodies to church suppers and the like. :-) Take a look at the $130 version on the Longaberger site. Great shopping!

Goiuri May 21, 2008  

You make really beautiful crafts!!

hellskitten May 23, 2008  

oooh all the gorgeous fabrics! i love patterns fabric and vintage stuff too.

i love reading your blog. you photography is great too.

:)

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP