Holidays

>> Sunday, December 23, 2007

This year has been so busy, so this Christmas seems to have arrived quite suddenly and we're barely prepared! We've managed a little tree in our front window, with our presents underneath and a little row of fairy lights on the front of the house. My parents are coming to lunch Sunday, so we've rushed around trying to make the house look its best while also working on some of the painting and furniture rearranging that needed doing now that the floors are done. It's a good motivation when we're really quite tired because we'll enjoy the house being tidy ourselves over the holidays.

The kitchen is really quite liveable despite the lack of fitted cabinets and sink since we have two sideboards for storage and a table for counter space. Most of my time lately (after getting illustration work done) has been spent moving furniture and things and patching up the bathroom walls. We removed so many shelves and cabinets from the walls in the bathroom since we've moved in that it left a lot of marks. Then the workers (as would be expected) left a few scratches and chipped paint patches here and there. But now it's finally ready for the ocean blue paint. I painted a few large areas to live with the colour for a bit before going ahead. And I think it will be nice.

But one of my favourite holiday things to do is finally have some time (sort of) to do crafts just for the fun of it. The embroidery hoops are from the shop I mentioned before, The Workroom. My friend and I went to the stitch n' bitch hosted by Karyn, and were inspired by the gorgeous fabric hoops that she has decorating the walls. I bought a few hoops while I was there (so affordable!) and chose my fabrics and made them up tonight. It's a really simple project with quick results. These are now decorating our hallway.My other project is a hat with a "wheat sheaf" pattern in light grey wool. I'm going to work on that over the holiday and will show you when it's done. When I'm always so busy I feel I always have to be doing something. I can't just watch a movie on tv without feeling guilty for not being productive. So I knit.

Happy holidays to everyone and see you in the new year!

6 comments:

Knitty, Vintage and Rosy December 23, 2007  

Hi Claire:
I am the same way. I knit, crochet, sew, whatever, I can't just sit and watch tv. Before I started knitting I used to do crosswords.

Glad to hear things are almost done. My cupboards never got painted so I guess it will be in the new year.

Wishing you a very Happy Christmas with good friends and good cheer!

Lisa xo

Knitty, Vintage and Rosy

Jannie aka Chickengirl December 23, 2007  

the hoops are adorable. Great choices in the fabrics, they look so good together!

BTW I got your holiday card, thank you :-) Happy Christmas!!!

Anonymous,  December 24, 2007  

Wishing you and your dear ones a lovely and restful Christmas eve and day... see you in the new year!
take care, grache xo

Anonymous,  December 24, 2007  

hı I'M FROM TURKEY I LOVE YOUR BLOG. AND I SAY SOMETHING I MADE IT TOO PLEASE LOOK THEM :) AND MAYBE YOU SHARE YORU COMMENTS.

REGARDS FROM ISTANBUL / TURKEY

WHEN YOU CLICK LINK SECOND PICTURE IS MY DESIGN

http://www.edasuner.com/kasnaklarla-duvarlarinizi-susleyin/

Anonymous,  December 24, 2007  

full lınk

http://www.edasuner.com/
kasnaklarla-duvarlarinizi-susleyin

Jayne January 03, 2008  

Claire, the fabric in the hoops is a great idea. My grandmother passed away in 1985 and I inherited boxes of fabric meant for quilts. I'm not a quilter, so the fabrics have been stored away in a drawer all this time. But your hoops gave me the idea to take them out and display them as you did. I would never have thought of this. Thanks for the inspiration!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP