Small Christmas tree

>> Friday, December 01, 2006

This year we bought a wee (artificial) tree, just 2 feet tall which is the perfect size for our little home. I waited until the beginning of December to decorate it, since November just seemed too early. And I decided in a madcap flash of inspiration that the colour scheme would be red and white.

In previous years I've bought little potted trees, but I never did seem to be able to plant them, so they would linger along for a few months (which is actually quite nice in the wintertime) but then start to look sadder and sadder and eventually die. So it seemed perfect when I found this little artificial one in a Queen West furniture shop (and for only $11.50). It looks quite real, and the branches have wire inside so you can adjust them.

When it comes to miniature trees I like the ornaments to be proportional in size. The first thing I found was a box of red glass balls. Then I gathered up all the little red and white ornaments I had from previous years and added the red bird for the top. At that point I found some little pinecones I had gathered up sometime last year (where? when?) and knew I had found the perfect finishing touch. So this is my Christmas decorating "how to" for this year.

I've been doing a lot of painting lately so I had this little container of white paint. Debbie Travis sells them at Canadian Tire so you can try out her paint colours. Such a great idea, and even better they have little brushes attached to the lid. So the first step is to just brush paint along the outside of the cone so that it looks like snow.
Then the second step is to hot glue gold thread to the top so that you can hang the ornament.
Here's a close-up. I even think the hot glue looks a bit like sap so it doesn't look bad at all!
And that's it! I love our tree this year.

7 comments:

Belinda December 01, 2006  

Claire, the bird tree topper is just gorgeous!! I love you little tree, so sweet.

Heather December 02, 2006  

I love your mini tree!!! The pine cones are such a good idea!

Susan December 03, 2006  

I love your little tree. It looks about the right size for our 5th wheel. =) Painting the little pine cones was a great idea, too. Did you do the drawing at the top of your blog? I like it.

Anonymous,  December 03, 2006  

Great pinecones, and what a perfect little tree!

Junie Moon December 05, 2006  

The little tree is adorable! I love the pinecone ornaments and thank you for the mini-tutorial.

Melissa December 07, 2006  

Your tree is great - very sophisticated looking (I think it's the monochromatic).

Anonymous,  December 11, 2006  

The bird on top just blows me away. Stunning. Was it a thrifted find?

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP