Apple letter pincushion

>> Friday, May 26, 2006

This is my first pincushion for the pincushion challenge. The theme for May is fruit, I found out just in time to join in. I just found out about this new blog thanks to Rose at Crafty McGee. She made a whole bowl of pincushion fruit and now she can sort her needles by type of fruit - such a cute idea.

I kept mine quite simple, inspired by a little square of reproduction vintage fabric from my birthday stash which had apples and letters on it. It was just enough to make two little pincushions, both the same, one I'm keeping and I'll put the other one in my etsy shop. I think this is my favourite of all my pincushions I've made so far. I don't know why, it's quite simple, but I just love the apple fabric. It's firmly stuffed and smallish at 2.5" in diameter.

The back is red wool felt, here's a view of it: The leaves and the red circle on the top are made from wool felt too - meant to represent an apple viewed from the top. Then I embroidered the leaves with embroidery floss and added a tiny green button on top and another slightly bigger one on the bottom.
Oh and while I'm being obsessive, here is my beautiful new pincushion with pins!Sometimes in my comments someone asks a question but without their email linked to the comment so I can't reply directly. In those cases I just reply in the comments or mention the answer in my next post. I hope that's ok! I do appreciate all my comments, and I often use the links to hop back over and see your blogs too. Although I must admit I am quite behind these days on all my blog visits.

One question was about which scissors I use to cut the scallops on my felt decorations. I actually do it myself with regular scissors. I cut little "v"s evenly spaced around the circle, then curve the edges. It's a bit fiddly but not that difficult. In case you're wondering what I'm talking about, this particular pincushion doesn't have any scalloped edges, but my other ones do on the top where they're decorated with felt flowers.

8 comments:

Anonymous,  May 26, 2006  

That's such a gorgeous pincushion! I really love thr apple fabric too.

elisabetha May 27, 2006  

What an adorable pincushion! I think I like this one the best out of all the ones you've posted!
Love the red and green theme. Maybe you can start colour-coding all your needles on different pincushions :)

rania May 27, 2006  

i love this! awesome shape, colors, and details!

Anonymous,  May 27, 2006  

I love it!! Thanks for sending me a picture for the gallery.

Heather May 27, 2006  

Poop! It isn't in your etsy...already sold??? Oh well. There goes my complete collector's set of Needlebook pincushions. (By the way soooooooooo adorable. You put such great details onto all your projects!)

Anonymous,  May 28, 2006  

Glad to be of service - thanks for the mention. I love your pincushion, that fabric is wonderful.

sooz May 30, 2006  

Great pincushions! That apple fabric is the best - I love it! And I think you have used it to its absolute best advantage. Congratulations.

Anonymous,  June 04, 2006  

i was at a concert this weekend, plying my wares. of course, i was still finishing things up, and i had your handy needlebook there... i got so many compliments on it, and people asking me if it was for sale! i said no! it was made for me by a friend ;) and they could get their own from needlebook!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP